Sunday, November 1, 2009

Williams Adds 46th Title

Walter Ray Williams Jr. has already ventured into territory no bowler in history
has seen, but when he rallied to defeat
Chris Barnes, 238-230, and win the
Professional Bowlers Association (PBA)’s Motor City
Open at Thunderbowl
Lanes, he broke new ground even for himself.


Williams, who turned 50 on Oct. 6, won a record 46th title in a PBA Tour career
that began in 1983, and he extended his PBA record for winning at least one
title to 17 consecutive seasons. The Ocala, FL resident, who is now eligible
to bowl on the PBA Senior Tour as well as the so-called “Junior Tour,” threw
seven strikes and converted four single-pin spares in the Motor City Open finals
that aired Sunday on ESPN. But his nearly flawless performance almost wasn’t
enough.

Barnes, with strikes on seven of his first eight shots, left the 3-6-9-10 in the
ninth frame and failed to convert the spare, giving Williams the lead for the
first time in the title match. Then, needing a double and eight pins in the 10th
frame to overtake Williams, Barnes left a 7 pin on his first shot.

“I left a lot of nine counts,” Williams said. “In the first frame, I threw a
great shot and left a ringing 10 pin. The one I left in the third frame (a 6
pin), I pinched the shot a little left, but I’ll throw the ball the same way
every time after leaving ringing 10s. Sometimes you’ll strike, sometimes not.
Fortunately today I didn’t get too many taps.”

The title match was a strike-fest compared to the earlier matches, when
conditions were challenging. Bill O’Neill of Southampton, PA, needed a late
strike surge to escape Tommy Jones of Simpsonville, SC, 201-169, in the
opening match.

O’Neill then got lined up and blew past Pete Weber of St. Ann, MO, 257-224. But
as the lane conditions changed, the transition caught up to O’Neill in the
semifinal match, when Barnes out-lasted him, 183-169, to set up a title match
between the top two qualifiers in the event.

Barnes made a critical adjustment to find the pocket in the championship game,
but Williams had an even better answer.

“At one time in my career, I was 0-9 on TV,” Williams said, “but things turned
around. For a long time, I couldn’t do anything right. Since things turned around,
TV has been going good for me.”


Even as he approaches his debut on the PBA Senior Tour at the end of the 2009
-10
Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour season, Williams isn’t showing any signs of
slowing
down.

“As long as I feel good and stay competitive, I’ll keep on bowling,” he said. “I
don’t want to be out here if I’m not competitive; I’d be too frustrated. When I
can’t compete, when it’s isn’t fun, I’ll retire. I have no issue with that. But
I feel like I’m still doing pretty well.”

He also has set no goals or aspirations for whatever happens before he retires
his bowling shoes.

“I keep saying one more (title), and now it’s 46,” he laughed. “Winning a
tournament is the best thing in the world, but you never know when it’s going to
be the last one.”

LUMBER LIQUIDATORS PBA TOUR MOTOR CITY OPEN
Thunderbowl, Allen Park, Michigan

Final Standings
1, Walter Ray Williams, Jr., Ocala, FL, $25,000
2, Chris Barnes, Double Oak, TX, $13,000
3, Bill O’Neill, Southampton, PA, $9,000
4, Pete Weber, St. Ann, MO, $7,000
5, Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, SC, $6,000

No comments: