Saturday, January 17, 2009

PBA Bayer Earl Anthony Classic

Patrick Allen of Wesley Chapel, Fla., will try for back-to-back Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowling Association titles Sunday in the ESPN-televised finals of the Bayer Earl Anthony Classic at Lava Lanes, but he’ll have to win three matches to do it.


Allen, fresh off a victory in the National Bowling Stadium Championship in Reno, Nev., qualified fourth for Sunday’s finals behind top qualifier Tommy Jones of Simpsonville, S.C., Bill O’Neill of Southampton, Pa., and Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas. He’ll have to beat all three, starting with Malott, to claim his 12th career PBA Tour title.


Jones, bidding for his first title in almost a year, posted a 32-game total of 7,624 pins on a demanding new Earl Anthony lane conditioning pattern, taking the top spot by 27 pins over O’Neill, who is seeking his first Lumber Liquidators PBA title. O’Neill and Malott also were finalists a week ago in Reno while Jones, a 10-time PBA Tour winner, will be making his first TV appearance of the 2008-09 season.


“The lanes were really hard tonight,” said Jones, “it reminded me of a U.S. Open pattern. I tried to bowl with 15 pounds (balls) last year and got into some bad habits. Two weeks ago I went back to 16 and worked with Mark Baker, my swing was getting way to steep.”


For the second straight week, Allen is the only left-hander to reach the TV finals, and he did it this time in a tournament dedicated to the most successful left-hander bowler in PBA history.


"I would never compare myself to Earl,” Allen noted, “but he had his weeks when no other lefties were close, so maybe there is a little of Earl in the house this week."


Allen locked up his spot in the finals by starting his final position round match against Malott with seven strikes.


"I bowled a big game when I had to,” he said. “I knew if I could beat Malott, I would be in good shape and fortunately I struck in the ninth frame to seal the deal."

No comments: