Monday, January 24, 2011

Major Mika Wins PBA Tournament of Champions

Finnish native Mika Koivuniemi of Hartland, MI, defeated top qualifier Tom
Smallwood of Saginaw, MI, 269-207, Saturday to win the $250,000 first prize
in the $1 million Professional Bowlers Association Tournament of Champions 
at Red Rock Lanes.
After rolling a 299 game against Tom Daugherty of Wesley Chapel, FL, in the 
semifinal match, Koivuniemi threw another 10 strikes on 12 tries against 
Smallwood to become the first international player ever to win the PBA’s 
signature tournament.

“I can’t even say what this title means right now,” Koivuniemi said. “It was my 
third major and I have nine titles now. I hope I can win a few more and secure a 
spot in the hall of fame. And my oldest daughter is starting college next year, 
so the money will help.

“It helped to get past my first match,” he added. “I haven’t had a lot of breaks 
on TV lately. Even after I shot the 299, I held myself back and stayed focused. 
It would have been nice to shoot 300, but it’s more important to win the title.”

Koivuniemi earned the nickname “Major Mika” after winning the 2000 United States 
Bowling Congress Masters and the 2001 U.S. Open – both major championships - for 
his first two PBA titles after a highly successful international career where he 
won titles in 15 different countries.

“Mika bowled great. He won,” said Smallwood, who earned $100,000 as runner-up. 
“He out-bowled all of us. He had a great look at the lane condition and he made 
the shots. And winning $100,000 can make you a good loser.”

In the semifinal match, Koivuniemi came within a wobbling 10 pin of becoming the 
first player in PBA history to shoot two nationally-televised 300 games. The 
42-year-old right-hander rolled a perfect game against Jason Couch of Clermont, 
FL, in Windsor Locks, CT, in 2003.

Koivuniemi easily defeated Daugherty, 299-100, because Daugherty’s television 
debut was a disaster. The 35-year-old Floridian left seven difficult – if not 
unmakeable – splits in rolling the lowest nationally-televised game in PBA 
history. Daugherty converted two pins after leaving the 4-6-7-10 split in the 
10th frame to shoot an even 100, erasing the 129 bowled by Steve Jaros in Lake 
Zurich, IL, in 1992. Despite his record low score, Daugherty took home $50,000 
for third place. Possibly the biggest payday for the lowest score ever.

“I destroyed Jaros’ record,” Daugherty grinned. “I would have been more upset if 
I’d shot 260 and lost. I really wasn’t nervous. I just threw the wrong ball and 
made some bad shots. Once I was down 50 pins and threw another split, I was just 
trying to get out of Mika’s way.

“But I still had the most fun I’ve ever had in my life this week, including 
today. I’d rather shoot 100 today than earlier in the week. I made $500 a pin 
today. That’s more than Mika made, pin for pin.”

Koivuniemi began his march to the title with a 224-220 win over Columbia's Andres
Gomez in the opening match when Gomez failed to double in the 10th frame.
Both players showed early jitters – Koivuniemi leaving a pocket 7-10 split on his
first shot and Gomez missing a 7 pin in his second frame – but both recovered with
strings of strikes. Gomez used his string of five in a row to take the lead heading into
the ninth frame, but made his biggest mistake, leaving and missing the 3-4-6-7
split to hand the lead back to the Finnish native.

Koivuniemi had a chance to lock up the match with a strike on his first shot in 
the 10th frame, but left a 10 pin to give Gomez a chance. Gomez earned $40,000 
for his fourth place finish.

The first prize and total prize fund were the richest in bowling history. The 
finals, which aired in high-definition for the first time in PBA history, 
returned to ABC for the first time in 14 years.

The Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour’s next event is the One A Day Earl Anthony 
Memorial which begins Wednesday at Earl Anthony’s Dublin Bowl in Dublin, CA.

No comments: