Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Track Signs Walter Ray Williams Jr.

One of the most renowned bowlers in history, Walter Ray Williams Jr., has inked a deal with Track bowling.

As of Sept. 1, 2010, the 47-time Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) titlist is a member of the Track professional bowling staff, joining Mike Fagan and Mitch Beasley.

“The company I represented last year did not offer to renew my contract at the end of the season,” Williams said. “I had heard some really good things about Track equipment last season and the equipment coming out of Ebonite International. You want to go to a company with good equipment so you can be competitive.”

At age 50, Williams said it is a surprise to him to be still competing at this level. “Way back when I first started on the tour, I never expected to be competing at 50,” he said. “I always figured I’d retire at 40; that was the age guys used to retire. But, when I hit 40, I kept on thinking ‘I still have two more years in me,’ and here I am.”

Williams was named PBA Player of the Year for the 2009-2010 season for the seventh time.

“To be Player of the Year at 50 is unbelievable,” he said. “I plan to continue on tour as long as I’m competitive and with Track, I believe I can continue to be competitive. I can make a little money at it and I enjoy it. I go out with the goal of winning. There is a lot of good competition out there; I respect the younger players and I like giving them fits.”

When asked, most of the players on tour would like to give Walter Ray Williams Jr. fits right back if they could choose.

“It’s a two-way street to have that target on your back,” Williams said. “To be the person everyone wants to bowl and to beat is flattering.”

1 comment:

Mr James (Dunn) said...

Congrats WRW Jr. Track is coming back. I have a 607ase this is the first ball I have liked in a long time from Track. Ebonite is putting Track back on (Track). Can't wait to see what is coming 10-14-2010. James Thomas Dunn Sr