Tuesday, November 23, 2010

MacPherson Wins $121,000 Bonus For Nationally -Televised 300 In Japan

United States Bowling Congress (USBC) Hall of Famer and Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) Women’s Series titlist Wendy Macpherson of Henderson, NV, made history on the Japanese Professional Bowlers Association (JPBA) Tour on Nov. 14 when she defeated Japan’s Mika Sato, 300-235, to win the ABS Japan Open.

Macpherson, a 20-time PWBA winner before the women’s tour ceased operations in 2003, not only earned roughly US$36,000 for her third JPBA title of the year and the eighth of her career, but she received a $121,000 bonus for her nationally-televised 300 game.


“I never in my life could have imagined,” Macpherson said upon her return to the United States. “You look at the paper and see they are offering 10 million (yen) for a 300 on TV, and we all think, wow, that could be cool. But you know it’ll never happen. I was shocked to find myself in that position.


“I was bowling for the title and after getting the front 11, it’s like, oh my God, I’m bowling for 10 million yen…if I don’t strike, I don’t get anything.


“I had already won the title, but I wanted to win the big bucks. I was very nervous. My heart was beating extremely fast,” he added. “It was not so much pressure, but realizing I’d never again have that opportunity again, so I wanted to give myself the best chance I could to succeed. That tournament was the only one in the entire year that offered a 10 million yen prize for a 300 in the championship match.”

No comments: