Monday, January 10, 2011

Crown Point's Kammer Rolls 19th 900 Series

Bob Kammer Jr. of Crown Point, Ind., rolled a perfect 900 series Saturday night. The series is still pending formal approval by the United States Bowling Congress(USBC).

Kammer, who would be the 18th bowler in history to roll a USBC-approved 900 series, tossed 36 consecutive strikes in the Saturday Invitational League at Stardust Bowl II in Merrillville, Ind. He would be the first bowler from the state of Indiana to record a certified 900 series.

“It was unbelievable, and I was nervous,” said Kammer, a 41-year-old right-hander. “It’s not something that happens every day.”

Competing on lanes one and two, Kammer said the rest of the league stopped play to watch him after the seventh frame of his third game.

“I was just thinking, please carry,” Kammer said in describing his final strike. “I was taking deep breaths and trying to get the ball clean off my hand.”

Kammer works for Ford Motor Company and may be a local celebrity when he returns to work.

“My phone has been blowing up,” Kammer said. “I am having my 15 minutes of fame and it’s fun.”

Kammer’s 900 series would be the 19th USBC-approved in history. The first USBC-approved 900 occurred Feb. 2, 1997 when Jeremy Sonnenfeld rolled three consecutive perfect games in Lincoln, Neb. There has never been a 900 on Sport Bowling lane conditions.

No comments: